Sunday, July 26, 2009

Me and the 8:00am Triangle Riders

As most of the Wheelmen were in Vermont, BobL, Ori, and JeffB suggested that I try riding with the 8am Triangle guys.
I met Billy E. who will be doing the Israel ride with me this fall who rode with them.

The ground was a little wet from an early morning shower so the group went on the service road till exit 52 or so. This was about twenty six miles. I was OK till about 25 miles. What I noticed about this group is when I sprint or pull hard after a red light when I am with the NSW I am usually on my own or with Ori or Bob. Today when I slowed down after a hard pull fifteen guys and one woman went right by me. I then had to sprint again to keep with the rear of their peloton.

What was helpful was their sag van (we need one of those). Jaime the driver of the van is very adept at pulling riders who fall behind by letting them draft behind him. Riding in the draft of the van was like spinning indoors and without the wind I was able to catch up.
By mile 24 or so I was getting to know Jaime really well.

We stopped for barely a rest by NSW standards to refuel at a gas station. I held on for another six miles until I was officially dropped.

As getting lost is easy for me, on the way back for some reason I ended up on the LIE rather than on the service road. The next exit was Route 135. On the exit ramp I was able to climb over the guard rail with my bike and make my way through the bushes back to the service road. A Triangle rider who was also dropped and was on the service road commended me on my sweet short cut! The hot and humid weather and effort was cramping my legs by the end of the ride.

Total for the day was 52 miles and a bruised ego.

1 comment:

Ori said...

A valiant effort. You should try it again sometime.