Wednesday, October 7, 2009

10/4/09: NSW Are Busy With The MS Ride

Note: This is an edit of my post.

Sunday, October 4, 7:00 AM. Light fog. Colonial building parking log. Where the heck is everybody??? You know early morning fog lifts as soon as the sun comes out. (I was later reminded they they went to do the MS ride. Kudos to them.)

Oh, well. Rather than riding alone once again, I decided to wait for the 8:00 AM triangle group. Around 50 riders rolled by and I joined in. I like large groups, even though it can be sketchy. As a matter of fact, I had a near mishap on the way out. I was right on the wheel of the leader. As we approached a traffic light, it turned red and he suddenly hit his breaks without warning anyone, fishtailed and I came within a fraction of an inch from touching his wheel and going down. Only my reflexes and handling skills saved me. Whatever... I wagged my finger at him. He was the strongest rider in the group.

We rode the LIE's service road all the way to Commack (exit 53) and Smithtown before turning back eastward. In Smithtown we had a very short deli break. By then I had ridden 35 miles at 19.1 average and wasn't even tired.

The return leg was somewhat slower (18.6 overall average by the time I was back home). I stayed close to the front, taking turns with the pulls. Somewhere between Stillwell Lane and Muttontown Road most the group had split off in a different direction. I found myself with a half-dozen South Americans riding back by way of Jericho Turnpike. I didn't like that route, so I left the group and went back on my own. On the last stretch of Wheatly I was joined by 3 riders that I recognized from earlier and I pulled them the rest of my way.

All in all not a bad ride. Perhaps next time I find myself alone on a Saturday or Sunday morning I'll try hanging with the 8:30 group. Those guys are real hammerheads.

2 comments:

Isaac said...

I know some of the NSW did the MS ride. I could not ride Sunday so I did about 35 miles on Monday.

Ori said...

Oh, yeah (slapping my forehead). That was the day of the MS ride.