Sunday, January 31, 2010

1/31 Colder Than Freezing

Bob had to bail because he wasn't feeling good. So I had no choice but to brave the freezing headwinds myself, without the benefit of my favorite riding aid: Locomotive Bob. I waited until after 1:30 to leave, just to get the benefit of that additional half degree of rise in temperature. I can't say I could tell the difference. I believe it was about 27° when I started (it takes my computer a while to adjust between the temperature inside my garage to that outside). It "peaked" at 30° about halfway through the ride.

I didn't want to spend that much time on the LIE, so I turned onto Wheatley, did my usual run through Locust Valley, Horseshoe Road, Oyster Bay, onto Moores Hill Road. At Beefalo I took a shortcut straight back to Syosset's 7-11 for my usual break treat. At that point I'd done 31 miles. After my fingers were fully recovered I finished the usual way via white church (no campus), to Wheatley and back home before sun down. Total distance: 47 miles. Average: a poky 16.3 mph.

It was tough heading out. Had to stop once to let my fingers thaw, just 10 miles in, when it got to be too painful to bear. After the 7-11 break, for some reason, I didn't experience the frozen fingers issue any more, even though the temperature was holding steady at 29°, perhaps thanks to the ultra-caffeinated hot chocolate. My toes were frozen for most of the ride, but it was bearable.

With age, apparently, comes decreased blood circulation in my extremities. Gotta get better gloves and socks.

.

No comments: