Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sunday 11/15 - Wetter than expected.

Does a North Shore Wheelman on a Unicycle count towards the days total riders? I say if he is wearing a NSW jersey then he counts.

Amos, that is one big wheel!

Also riding today were JeffK, Alan, BobL, Ori, Billy, Joe, Larry, and Isaac.  JeffK, Alan  and Joe went short.

Renegades went long with Larry leaving early. This became a theme for the rest of the ride. After sunnyside,Snake Hill, and Moore's, we lost Billy.  He did a Barry and missed Sandy Hill.  I actually do take a bit of blame for this as I was lagging behind.  Billy stayed with me for a while.  When we lost contact  or should I say when I lagged even farther behind is when he likely missed the turn. I did not see him and he at that point could see Bob and Ori. A newbie mistake.

A possible reason for my slow going might have been the flat in my front tire that I was riding on from possibly Moore's till Syosset 7/11.  Oddly it only felt wrong when I got out of the saddle. Another possible reason could be my lack of indoor work this week coupled with 2 hours of  full court basketball. Yeah I did some running too this week. Maybe too much cross training.  (I am pleased that I do have a forum to present my excuses,even though Ori, who already knows them, and I might be the only people reading this.)

A recent post by Ori showed the fastest flat fix/tube change on youtube. It was sad that we had no video camera as this might have been the slowest flat repair. After BobL left Syosset ahead of us, I began to change my tube.  Lesson learned, never forget to check the inside of your tire for what may have blown the tube in the first place. I did not. Thus the new tube was punctured.
I had a patch kit!  That smelly stuff that comes in a tube for the patch was all dry.  Ori gave me a slime instant patch, which would have worked but the fiberglass spike that had punctured the tube had made two holes. The patched tube went on then came out.
I thanked Ori for the tube he gave me and we were finally on our way.

JeffB did not ride but showed up at 8:00 to offer us his wet weather benediction. Something he learned on his Israel ride.  The sun did eventually come out as we left Syosset. 

Bumpy, White Church, and Wheatly.  Ori thinks It was about 60 Miles.

1 comment: